Re: [Xen-users] Howto start domU's network (gentoo-specific)?

Hans de Hartog wrote:
> Matthias Wolf wrote:
>

>>You don't have to do this!
>>The vif interfaces will be automatically started and added
>>to the xenbr0 if you start a domU if you have configured xend-config.sxp
>>with (standard) bridging:
>>
>>(network-script network-bridge)
>

> Again, this is Gentoo specific. The network-bridge script tries to
> figure out what netdev is by "ip route list default scope global"
> and take the last word. On gentoo, the output of the command ends
> with "... eth0 metric 2000". Therefore I use explicitly
> (network-script 'network-bridge netdev=eth0').
> If I don't make the links to net.vifN.0, I see in /var/log/messages
> (on dom0) net.agent[pid]: add event not handled
> and the vifN.0 is not brought up (but IS added to the bridge) and
> it won't try dhcp.

I use Gentoo and don't have to 'ln -s' my vif's to net.lo, and on all my
machines i don't get something behind the device name.

What is your configuration for eth0?

>>What does your dhcpd.conf in the dom0 and thru /etc/conf.d/net in the domU
>>look like?
>>

> On dom0, /etc/conf.d/dhcpd contains DHCPD_IFACE="eth0"
> and the relevant part in /etc/dhcp/dhcpd.conf:
>
> host CARDHU {
>       hardware ethernet 00:16:3e:00:00:03;
>       fixed-address 10.0.0.3;
> }
>
> There is no specific configuration for net.vifN.0 (not on dom0 and not
> on domU) and therefore it defaults to dhcp.
> It also makes no difference if I include dhcp="dhcp" in the domU
> configuration file om dom0, or not.

I haven't recognized that you use Kernel 2.6.16.26, which i also tried but with
no success.

Could you try Kernel 2.6.16.16 ? This works for me.

I haven't figured out why i can't get run my xen config with 2.6.16.26 but with
2.6.16.16. Same kernel configs, same xen configs, only another kernel and
*bummm*, non working dom0 and non working domU's.

Regards
Matthias