RE: [Xen-users] crazy SWAP and RAM idea

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Luke Crawford <lsc@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:46:48 -0700 (PDT)
  • Delivery-date: Sun, 10 Sep 2006 11:47:26 -0700

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Steffen Heil wrote:
You also risk DB corruption, (not to mention inode corruption
[are you using ext3? I hope not, or you're looking to start
grepping for your data using strings you hope exist in the
files you lost] ). Just wait until a dom-u is being hammered
and dom-0 experiences an unorderly shutdown, hope you've
polished up on your regex to find your data :)

I don't understand that at all. First, if ext3 (which DOES have journaling)
looses any data on unclean shutdown, then it is faulty. And yes, I use it on
several machines. And secondly I think that farly depends how you implement
domU partitions. Mine are LVM...

Unless you are writing to the journal synchronously, (which nobody does; that makes it just as slow as mounting the filesystem synchronously; even slower, as you have two steps) the journal only protects filesystem integrity... not the integrity of files that are open. Essentially, it is a way of ordering meta-data writes (just like softupdates on FreeBSD))