Re: [Xen-users] How to create a domU on RedHat Enterprise AS 4.4?

On Sun, 10 Sep 2006, Luke Crawford wrote:

> if you are  using the partition-within-the-domU method that makes it difficult
> to mount it outside,  make the problem domU the second disk in a good domU...
> you can boot the good domU and the mount the second disk and mess with it.

The hvm install docs also covers this well.... there's a -o
offset parameter you can use for losetup... which will let you mount the
partition from dom0

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION04330000000000000000
that's appendix a.3

   Make the file system and install grub
   # ln -s /dev/loop0 /dev/loop
   # losetup /dev/loop0 hd.img
   # losetup -o 16384 /dev/loop1 hd.img
^-- MAGIC
   # mkfs.ext3 /dev/loop1
   # mount /dev/loop1 /mnt
   # mkdir -p /mnt/boot/grub
   # cp /boot/grub/stage* /boot/grub/e2fs_stage1_5 /mnt/boot/grub
   # umount /mnt
   # grub
   grub> device (hd0) /dev/loop
   grub> root (hd0,0)
   grub> setup (hd0)
   grub> quit
   # rm /dev/loop
   # losetup -d /dev/loop0
   # losetup -d /dev/loop1

   The losetup option -o 16384 skips the partition table in the image file.
   It is the number of sectors times 512. We need /dev/loop because grub is
   expecting a disk device name, where name represents the entire disk and
   name1 represents the first partition.