Re: [Xen-users] Xen with newer-than-2.6.16.26

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: William Hanwoody <hanwoody@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 14 Sep 2006 13:37:46 +0000
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 22:39:16 -0700
  • Domainkey-signature: a=rsa-sha1; q=dns; c=nofws; s=beta; d=gmail.com; h=received:from:organization:to:subject:date:user-agent:references:in-reply-to:mime-version:content-type:content-transfer-encoding:content-disposition:message-id; b=g6yruhCgc3xoUmxKpZDYSqWPhiDB3zBR6m9Msp5X+4k7XE5snB6CspkberGf2yrhU6Ex2J9HHnJ4GKvULQ5ErsVPONZ4zMtqbEc9UsQyKblMFyFIoepyhA7bkQvk3xfZylR6mE7YZXu4sNgo0cIAm64uHmWLwrMJbpba6ma16ZQ=

在 Wednesday 13 September 2006 17:15,Derek 写道:
> I'm having problems with my dom0 linux kernel, which I beleive could be
> fixed by going to a newer linux kernel.   (The problems are not related to
> XEN, and have to do with device driver support for ATAPI support under
> SATA).  I've tried updating to 2.6.17 _non-xen_ and my device driver
> problems are solved.  Now, if only I can update to 2.6.17 _with_ XEN.
>
> So I'd like to be able to run XEN with a 2.6.17 or later dom0 kernel.  It's
> not clear to me how to do this or even if it's possible.  I'm running
> Gentoo.  The latest xen-sources they currently have available for emerge is
> 2.6.16.28.
>
> A few possible approaches which I've considered:
>
>   - Convert a redhat fedora kernel-sources package from RPM to tgz using
> rpm2targz, and try that.  They seem to have xen dom0 compatible release up
> to one of the 2.6.18 release candidates.
>
>   - Start with a vanilla gentoo kernel-sources emerge, and apply whatever
> patches are necessary to make them xen-dom0 compatible.  I have absolutely
> no idea how to find these patches, or how realistic a goal this is.
>
>   - Start with the xen-sources 2.6.16.26 emerge, and apply incrimental
> patches from kernel.org to get it up to 2.6.17 or later.
>
> Any folks with wisdom to share on which of the above approaches is best?
> Or any others I haven't thought of?  And any hints or tips that will help
> me along the way.
>
> Thanks,
> Derek.

you can use latest sata driver, and disable it in 2.6.16 kernel.
I  fixed this problem with my sound driver.

or maybe you can edit file "buildconfigs/mk.linux-2.6-xen",and change 2.6.16
to  2.6.17。

and I suggest you use testing version but not stable.

William Hanwoody                             hanwoody@xxxxxxxxx

A senior Linux engineer, like system integrate
My blog - hanwoody.livejournal.com