[Xen-users] Can't login with Xen and Gentoo

Hi all,

I installed Xen 3.0.2 using Gentoo portage.  The kernel boots ok to the
console but when I try to login either as root or myself it won't
authenticate.

I read some posts that mentioned not having a populated /dev directory
but this is in place.  It also contains a full range of tty* and has
console in it.

I'm at a loss for what to look for.  The console login is ok when
booting to the standard kernel.  Can anyone point me in the right
direction of what I should be checking/doing differently?

Thanks,
John