Re: [Xen-users] Issues w/ Oprofile and Xen-3.0.2 (xen-unstable)

On Monday 18 September 2006 16:13, Bhatia, Nikhil wrote:
> Hello Xen Users,
<snip>

> opcontrol --init
>
> FATAL: Module oprofile not found.
>
> FATAL: Module oprofile not found.
>
> Kernel doesn't support oprofile
>

> I think I am not configuring the oprofile as required. Can someone
> please let me know of the flags that I need to set while configuring the
> oprofile installation? I am using the following configuration.
>

> ./configure --with-kernel-support
> --with-linux=/root/bhatia/project/xen/xen-unstable/dist/ > config.out
>

> I suspect that I am providing the wrong pathname for (--with-linux). I
> would greatly appreciate if you could clarify this to me.
>

> Thanks,
>
> Nikhil
Hi Nikhil,

You have to build and configure the kernel side of oprofile as well.   You'll
need to have a kernel source tree for your dom0 kernel (linux-2.6.16.13-xen
or something similar).    cd to that directory, type "make menuconfig", go to
the "Instrumentation Support" entry and enable profiling and then in the
subitem, enable oprofile.   (Hit the space bar to get either a loadable
module M or have it built into the kernel *).    Exit and indicate you want
to save this configuration.    Now you have to build and install the kernel
itself:  make vmlinuz; make install; and, if you built oprofile as a module:
make modules_install.    Reboot and you should get past the above error.

Also, I'd use Oprofile 0.9.1 with Xen for now, unless Renato or someone else
on the list has tried 0.9.2 and had success.
--
Ray Bryant
AMD Performance Labs                   Austin, Tx