Re: [Xen-users] Providing dhcp for a "private" bridge?

Let me guess, you're using Fedora/RedHat.
Their dhcpd is compiled without support for dummy interfaces. I started
out by rebuilding the RPM with dummy interface support, but stopped
after I got tired of chasing fedora's dhcpd updates.

I then turned to henning's idea of a dhcp vm, using a minimal image that
takes only 16M RAM and about twice the disk space.

+Katriel

larsks.21230602@xxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> Hello all,
>

> I'd like to create a "private" bridge -- that is, one that doesn't
> include an external interface -- and provide DHCP services to Xen VMs attached
> to that bridge.  Mostly, this works great; creating the bridge and the Xen
> VMs worked without a problem.
>

> Getting dhcp working has been a little more
> difficult.
>

> In dom0, "dummy0" is 192.168.100.1.  I'd like dhcpd to listen
> on this interface, but dhcpd says:
>

>   No subnet declaration for dummy0 (0.0.0.0).
>

> For whatever reason, dhcpd appears to be unable to deal with dummy interfaces.
>

> What are other folks doing in this situation?  I could try assigning an
> IP directly to the bridge device, rather than using the dummy interface, but
> that strikes me as less than optimal (because it makes the bridge
> configuration
> unique).
>

> Thanks for your thoughts,
>

>   -- Lars