Re: [Xen-users] Dom-U config: whats the role of vif - IP

Christoph Purrucker wrote:
> Hello,
>
> in the example configuration-files I always read, that I've to add an
> IP-Adress if I don't have a DHCPd running. I'm running in bridge-mode. For
> example:
>
> vif = ['ip=192.168.5.99']
>
> But I don't want to configure the IP-Adress in an config-file on Dom-0;
> the Admin of the Dom-U should do that with Dom-U's ifconfig (or Debian's
> /etc/network/interfaces). I started several Dom-Us with
>
> vif = ['']
>
> and it seems, that they run quite fine with a locally configured
> interface. And further on, if I change the above vif = ['ip=192.168.5.99']
> to any other IP, the Dom-U ist still reachable under its locally
> configured IP (and not under the new one in der config-file) after
> rebooting the Dom-U.
>
> So what's the sense of the above parameter?

I admit, it is quite confusing. vif = [ 'ip=... has nothing to do
whatsoever with configuring your domU network! If you want fixed
ip-addresses for your domU, you have to configure them inside your
domU (exactly as you want). The vif-ip stuff is ONLY used to fine-
tune your firewall-rules (i.e. iptables).
Specify vif = [ 'ip=whatever' ], start your dom0 and you will find
the specified ip-address back in your iptables. If you're not using
iptables, the ip=... has absolutely no effect.

Hope this helps,
Hans.