Re: [Xen-users] what do you recommend for cluster fs ??

On Sep 24, 2006, at 11:39 AM, Anthony Wright wrote:

Tom Mornini wrote:

On Sep 23, 2006, at 7:44 AM, Anand Gupta wrote:

I was wondering what people use / recommend for a cluster fs for use with xen ?

We use GFS.

Also with this cluster fs, will the domU's be using flat files / lvm ? (it should be the former as per my guess since these flat files will be stored on the cluster fs, but then won't performance hit will be there for these domU's ? )

We use CLVM.

I hear talk of CLVM, but I'm trying to understand what the difference is between CLVM and normal LVM, where the CLVM software is and what I have to do to turn my LVM system into a CLVM?????

It's part of the Red Hat Cluster Suite.

I'd also be interested to know if you can combine CLVM with a dm- raid solution, to create a clustered raid device? I understand that dm-raid0/1 has been released, and there's a dm-raid4/5 in alpha at the moment.

I'm quite certain that dm-raid doesn't work in a clustered environment yet.

I have a feeling you're anxious (as are many) for a solution like this:

http://sourceware.org/cluster/ddraid/

Unfortunately there's no date on the article, and it hasn't been updated in months.

If you're looking for something useful *today*, then I'd recommend a SAN solution. The AoE SAN solution from Coraid that I mentioned earlier isn't much more expensive than plain ATA disks, so it's not prohibitive.

--
-- Tom Mornini