RE: [Xen-users] Which do you recommend AMD or Intel for HVM?

  • To: "Robert Hulme" <rob@xxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Xen-users" <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 12:12:55 +0200
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 28 Sep 2006 03:15:23 -0700

They are pretty equal implementations at the technological level. Memory
bandwidth will have more of an effect in a virtual machine than it does
in the regular system, as you get more memory accesses to do with the
switching between hypervisor and guest and page-table management in the
guest/hypervisor, compared to the bare-metal system. [How well this is
cached depends very much on the amount of work done between HV/guest
switches]

Unfortunately, I can't point you to any direct benchmarks or such...

> We're not overly concerned with the cooling / power draw aspect.
>
> The big question for us though is the level of support for the VT in
> AMD chips in Xen. I know that it hasn't been around as long, is the
> HVM implementation for Intel on Xen production ready?

I strongly disagree with this statement - the HVM architecture was put
in place for the purpose of supporting the AMD-V architecture with the
same infrastructure that Intel put in. Xen has several AMD-V boxes
provided by AMD for testing, and whilst there may be bugs in any code, I
don't agree that the AMD-V support is immature - it's been in Xen
officially since the 3.0.1 release - which is 0.0.1 release later than
the Intel VT support was introduced officially.

--
Mats