Re: [Xen-users] AMD's VT for chipsets

Petersson, Mats:

> I'm not sure if it's part of the translation or some other sort of
> misunderstanding, but chipsets (non-processor components) are not
> necessary for the AMD-V technology (formerly Pacifica) to operate
> correctly. It is available now in Opteron 1xxx, 2xxx and 8xxx;
> Athlon64[x2][FX] and Turion X2 processors that have DDR2 memory
> controller

Thanks for your reply Mats! I know this, but the article states, that
apart from the new processors. the integration of "AMD-V" into chipsets
will make it possible to use  the full potential of hardware-based
Virtualization.

If this is true (I found the statement only in the german article!), what
will these "full potentials" or "optimizations" be in practical use? And
when will the new chipsets and mainboards  be available, this year, next
year? And when - if ever - will Xen support them?

> I'm not entirely sure what the author considers to be "different from
> Intel"

The difference is that Intel will not offer those chipsets.

Greetings, Mark Weinem