Re: [Xen-users] /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: illegal option -- v

On Tuesday 03 October 2006 23:12, Anand Gupta wrote:
> While using mkinitrd on debian sarge, it gives the following error:
>
> mkinitrd -v -f --with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod
> initrd-2.6.16-xen.img 2.6.16-xen
> /usr/sbin/mkinitrd: illegal option -- v
>
> $Id: mkinitrd,v 1.201 2004/05/16 22:00:48 herbert Exp $
>
> Usage: /usr/sbin/mkinitrd [OPTION]... <-o outfile> [version]

>   -d confdir  Specify an alternative configuration directory.
>   -k          Keep temporary directory used to make the image.
>   -m command  Set the command to make an initrd image.
>   -o outfile  Write to outfile.
>   -r root     Override ROOT setting in mkinitrd.conf.
>
> See mkinitrd(8) for further details.
>

> It looks like the syntax for mkinitrd is different from the ones used in RH
> based distros. I have been trying different combinations however haven't
> had any luck generating the initrd image. Can anyone please tell me how to
> use this under debian to generate the image ??
Hi,

 In debian you can just use
 mkinitrd -o=/boot/initrd.img-2.6.16-xen initrd.img-2.6.16-xen

the command tries to guess the necessary modules. If you need to specify any
module just edit the file
  /etc/mkinitrd/modules
and add any necessary modules.

hope it help