Re: [Xen-users] Specify domain ID?

> On 10/4/06, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
>> Not that I know of. You can set the domain name yourself.
>> What do you want to do with that?

My only true reason for wanting a static domain ID is when I have to
connect to a domain via VNC -- the display number is the domain ID. If I
reboot, power off, etc. I have to SSH in and look at what the new domain
ID is so I can use VNC.

> Oops, right after sending I got an idea (but cannot check it) in the
> vmexample2 example config file, a value for vmid is set. But I am not
> sure if it's really used as internal domain id later, or jaut to be
> appended to the domain name, so you can get a domain named
> "webserver63" by running something like
> xm create -v vmexample2 vmid=63
> after setting the non-changing part of the name to "webserver".

I've read about that too, but from what I understood that does not affect
the domain ID. From /etc/xen/xmexample2:
# The vmid is purely a script variable, and has no effect on the the domain
# id assigned to the new domain.

So I take it this is not possible -- I wonder if this feature will ever be
added? Maybe there is a reason for always assigning a new domain ID?

--Marc