RE: [Xen-users] Issues running WinXP using hvmloader

On Thu, 2006-10-05 at 15:44 +0100, Mark Cave-Ayland wrote:

> > This may be to do with old version of Xen - or perhaps you haven't got
> > APIC and/or ACPI enabled in the config?
> > See below about trying a later release of Xen.
>
> Ah this could be the problem - at the moment I can't boot Xen 3.0.2
> without using the noapic option (I was also unable to boot the standard
> Ubuntu kernel without adding noapic either). As suggested by the kernel,
> I've added the apic=debug option to see the response. Unfortunately I
> don't have a serial cable to hand, but I do have a digital camera:
> http://www.ilande.co.uk/xen/apic_debug.jpg.

I've done a bit more googling and as a result I've just updated to the
latest experimental (pre-release) BIOS and I can now boot Xen without
the noapic option :)

> > >   2) If I run a compiled C program that causes a crash (such as
> > >   referencing a NULL pointer) then Windows brings up its normal
> > >   crash dialog box offering to send the information to MS. However
> > >   when I try and continue after the crash, the WinXP dom reboots
> > >   again. This occurs even when I have attached MingW's gdb to the
> > >   process to try and catch the exception - is there a way to catch
> > >   this so it doesn't reboot the dom?
> >
> > Hmm. So something like:
> >     void main(void)
> >     {
> >             int *p = NULL;
> >             p = 47;
> >     }
> > Causes WinXP to reboot? It shouldn't, that's for sure. Any chance you
> > can try this in 3.0.3-RC2?

Even with the APIC being detected, attaching gdb to the above program in
MingW still reboots the WinXP dom. I haven't managed to locate any
3.0.3-RC2 binaries yet...

> > >   3) Normally I terminate WinXP running in my dom by using the
> > >   Start -> Shutdown option and then closing the hvmloader window
> > >   when the "It is safe to turn off your computer" notice appears.
> > >   Unfortunately this still leaves a Zombie dom which shows up
> > >   under "xm list". Trying "xm destroy" or "xm shutdown" doesn't
> > >   remove the zombie dom. The state flags for these zombies are
> > >   listed as "----cd".
> >
> > ACPI disabled or enabled?
>
> I think this is disabled, since I don't have any acpi options in
> my /etc/xen/winxp file. I shall try again with this enabled and see if
> it makes any difference.

I've now added the options "acpi = 1" and "apic = 1" to
my /etc/xen/winxp file but I still get a zombie dom when I shutdown my
WinXP dom. Any other ideas?

> > >   4) If I have started a WinXP dom during my session and
> > >   shutdown my dom0 PC using "shutdown -h now" then Xen crashes. It
> > >   appears that all applications have shut down, and the Xen
> > >   console output appears back on the screen, but instead of
> > >   completing the shutdown, Xen crashes and emits a
> > >   stack trace on screen before immediately rebooting my PC.
> > >   Unfortunately the reboot happens too quickly to write down
> > >   the offending information, but if someone could talk me through
> > >   how to capture it then I would be happy to help.

(cut)

> Again, I have no serial cable but I managed to grab a snapshot of the
> crash: http://www.ilande.co.uk/xen/shutdown_crash.jpg.

Just to confirm that this still occurs when I attempt to shutdown dom0
with Xen now detecting the APIC correctly.

Kind regards,

Mark.