[Xen-users] tap:aio VBD Support.

  • To: <xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • From: "Dan Kendall" <Dan.Kendall@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 11:58:32 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 16 Oct 2006 03:57:28 -0700

Hi all,

I've downloaded Xen-3.0.2 and I've been trying to setup my virtual machines to
make use of file-backed VBDs as described in this link :
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION03320000000000000000.
  I'm using the source distribution which has been built using the command :

make KERNELS=linux-2.6-xen world
make install

as detailed in the README file.

However whenever I run the xm create command with the following config I get
the "Error: Device 2049 (vbd) could not be connected. Hotplug scripts not
working." error that's mentioned in several other places in the list archives.

kernel = "/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.16-xen"
ramdisk = "/boot/initrd-2.6.16-xen.img"
memory = 128
name = "wwwmaster"
vif = [ '' ]
disk = [
'tap:aio:/data/xen_masters/www_master.img,sda1,w','tap:aio:/data/xen_swaps/www_swap1,sda2,w'
 ]
dhcp="dhcp"
root = "/dev/sda1 ro"

After some playing around I noticed the same error is reported when changing
tap:aio to anything, eg 'fred:bert'.  I guess this device type needs some
support in the Dom0 kernel?  The README file in the distribution describes the
method for rebuilding the xen kernel using a different config, and sure enough
under the XEN menu of the kernel config tool there was an unchecked option for
the blktap tap device.  When I check this to '*' for in-built support I get the
following compile errors:

CC      drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.o
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c: In function `frontend_changed':
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:71: warning: passing arg 1 of `xenbus_exists' makes
integer from pointer without a cast
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:71: error: too few arguments to function
`xenbus_exists'
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:72: warning: passing arg 1 of `xenbus_rm' makes
integer from pointer without a cast
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:72: error: too few arguments to function `xenbus_rm'
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:80: warning: passing arg 1 of `xenbus_gather' makes
integer from pointer without a cast
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:96: warning: implicit declaration of function
`xenbus_dev_ok'
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:101: error: too few arguments to function
`xenbus_transaction_end'
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c: In function `blkback_probe':
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:154: warning: passing arg 1 of `xenbus_gather'
makes integer from pointer without a cast
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:163: warning: passing arg 1 of `xenbus_exists'
makes integer from pointer without a cast
drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.c:163: error: too few arguments to function
`xenbus_exists'
make[5]: *** [drivers/xen/blktap/xenbus.o] Error 1
make[4]: *** [drivers/xen/blktap] Error 2
make[3]: *** [drivers/xen] Error 2
make[2]: *** [drivers] Error 2
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxxx/xen-3.0.2/linux-2.6.16-xen'
make[1]: *** [build] Error 2
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/xxxxx/xen-3.0.2'
make: *** [linux-2.6-xen-install] Error 2

Am I right in thinking I need this support in the kernel to use the tap:aio
file-backed method?  If so, does Xen-3.0.2 support this properly?  And if not
what version of Xen do I need to use to support the method described in the
user manual?  FWIW I have successfully used the 'file:' method for file-backed
VBDs but I envisage using a largish number of VMs and using the loop device may
prove problematic.

Many thanks for any pointers.

Dan

whom they are addressed. If you are not the intended recipient
of this email and have received it in error you should delete
it and notify Centrinet Ltd immediately at email@xxxxxxxxxx
This email has been scanned for viruses, but no responsibility
is accepted by Centrinet for any loss or damage arising in any
way from its receipt or use thereof.

The views expressed in this email may not necessarily reflect
the views of Centrinet Ltd or any associated company.