RE: [Xen-users] partitions for VMs

From: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Alessandro Miceli
Sent: 16 October 2006 13:28
To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [Xen-users] partitions for VMs

Hi All,

Can anybody tell me, if, to create a VM, I need to create one(ore more) partition on purpose?
and how big should it be?

You don't have to have a separate partition for your DomU - it can be a file within a file-system. There are various ways to make this work as an expandable file-system (LVM for example) - but I'm not an expert on that, so if you need more help there, have a look at what's been posted before and if that doesn't answer your question, you can perhaps post another question here.

As for how big it should be (obviously, even if you can expand it, you don't want to expand it very often), that's a much more difficult question... It depends on what you're trying to achieve... It's the same question as when you're buying a hard-disk or memories for your machine: How much do you need? [Ok, hard-disks nowadays are almost always larger than what you need for many applications - but that's a different story].

--
Mats

Some more hints about that?
Thanks