RE: [Xen-users] Yet another backup proposal (file based vbd's & lvm)

On Wed, 18 Oct 2006, Roger Lucas wrote:
From what I've gathered in the list archives and google, LVM snapshots
are frowned upon, rdiff-backup seems to get decent remarks, and
dd-like backups are too slow and space consuming.

?? LVM frowned upon ??

LVM is not frowned upon. LVM used as a way to name/have a bunch of partitions is quite stable. using lvm2 writable snapshots to create CoW disks is rather iffy- (which I bet is what the original poster was talking about)

I have not heard of recent problems using _read only_ lvm snapshots to take backups, so that part is relitively safe. Note- there is a big difference between read-only and read-write snapshots. read-write snapshots are much more complex to implement.