Re: [Xen-users] iSCSI in guest domains

On Thu, Oct 19, 2006 at 04:01:26PM -0700, Mike Leatherman wrote:

> Hi,
> I'm trying to install Oracle 10g RAC using xen virtual servers and a
> Network Appliance F880 filer as the shared storage. I'm using Xen 3.0.2,
> kernel version 2.6.16u, and my VBD is created from a Redhat 4u3
> distribution.  I would like to use raw devices (disk LUNs on the NetApp
> filer) in conjunction with Oracle ASM to store the oracle database files.
> This configuration works well on standard linux servers, but I'm unable to
> get it working on Xen because I can't get the iSCSI initiator to work in
> the guest domains.
>
> I attempted to compile the core-iscsi initiator against the 2.6.16U
> kernel, and it seems to compile ok, but I get "unknown symbol in module"
> error when I attempt to load via insmod in the guest domain. I tried
> open-scsi as well, but also receive errors.
>
> So my question is -
>
> can you launch the iscsi-initiator and deamons within the guest domain to
> establish iscsi connetivity to the iSCSI target (netapp filer), or does
> iscsi have to be started on the xen host (dom0).  If iSCSI can be launched
> from the guest, which initiator should I use with the 2.6.16U kernel, and
> are there any tips on how to compile this initiator to work with Xen ?
>
> Thanks in advance.

Yes, you can use iscsi-initiator in domU.

With 2.6.16 (domU) kernel you should use open-iscsi initiator, which does
not (yet) come with RHEL. It will be in RHEL5 (and in FC6).

You can (should) download the latest SVN version of open-iscsi, as it
contains some bugfixes over the latest released version (2.0). Compile it
and remember to use the kernel modules from the open-iscsi, not the ones in
the kernel.

-- Pasi

                                   ^
                                .     .