[Xen-users] Newbie to XEN

Hello

I need to use a virtual machine with SUSE 10.0 as the host and Windows XP Pro as the guest.

There is a XEN button in YAST2 bu the error I get from that states I must have a XEN kernel installed.

I have had nothing but problems when trying even to simply recompile the existing kernel in SuSE 8.2 and 7.3. I gave up on that idea when I moved to 10.0.

I cannot afford to be in the situation where I have no useful kernel and no workstation. As a freelancer I simply do not have that comfort zone and I currently do not have 48 hour 20 day weeks to resolve the issues that might arise as well as getting any paid work done. I basically need something that works and is stable and robust.

I'm only using a 32 bit Athlon machine so I will have no 64 bit funnies going on. I have plenty of disk space for the installs required and expect to be able to dual boot from SuSE 10 and SuSE 10.1 within a day.

If I were to make a dual boot SuSE 10.0/10.1 in the first instance, what issues do I have to cope with to install a XEN machine with 10.1 as the host OS? Is Xen stable on SUSE 10.1 with Windows XP Pro as a guest OS or am I going to get a total inability to run Windows just when I don't need it i.e. is there anybody out there with experience of the Xen 3.x virtual machine with SuSE 10.1 as Dom0 and Windows as domN? Have there been any problems using the guest OS to install software - e.g. AutoCAD - within the guest domain? What's the graphics capability like?

I simply don't have the time to get this up and running to then find out it's unstable and the graphics just doesn't port through so I sincerely apologise if some of these questions are answered in the FAQ but I would like to hear what users on SuSE 10.x with Windows XP Pro as domN (N>0) have to say of their experiences.

Regards

Lesley