Re: [Xen-users] priority of dom0?

>> when i compile something in dom0, my domUs are more then
>> unresponsible.
>> Any clue, what's going on? How can i change the "priority" of dom0? I
>> think, that the CPU-time should be equally distributed
>> between the dom0
>> and the domUs.
>
> Whilst you can do this, the risk is that you get other problems if you do
> that (like one DomU running away and Dom0 not getting a chance to run instead
> :-( which is slightly worse, in case you would like to for example KILL that
> DomU!)...  You also want Dom0 to have a high priority (or to be able to run
> for as long as it needs) to be able to correctly and quickly respond to IO
> requests made on behalf of DomU's. Unfortunately, this counteracts the Dom0
> being low priority...

Well, i would expect some "fairness", that is:

  50% dom0, 50% domU
or
  33% dom0 and 66% for two domUs
or
  25% dom0 and 75% for three domUs
and so on ...

Perhaps, people would also like to say: guarantee up to 33% percent CPU
usage to dom0. (Not meaning, that dom0 is limited to 33% and not meaning
that all domUs together are limited to 66%)

Don't you think, that this would be enough to ensure that IO and network
is working properly?

Of course, that requires a (fairly simple?) scheduler within Xen.

> It's probably a better idea to have a separate DomU that gets to do the
> compiling...

That seems far to complicated to me.