RE: [Xen-users] Migrating existing system (Linux) to Xen

  • To: siaco@xxxxxxxxxxx, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 16:21:37 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Wed, 15 Nov 2006 07:38:53 -0800

Seeing as no-one has picked this one up, I'll take a stab at
answering...

Let's first say that I'm not entirely sure what you mean by migrating in
this case. Do you want to move a currently running service from one
machine to a virtualized instance on a different machine?

Xen itself only supports migrating the whole OS when it's already on a
xenified system, so you can't expect Xen to help with the migration from
a non-Xen platform.

You should be able to do this, tho:

1. Install Xen + Dom0 on a machine.
2. Install a Xenified guest on this machine.
3. Install into the Xenified guest the applications necessary for your
service(s).
4. Migrate from the non-Xen machine to the Xenified.

Aside from step 1 (and the detailed difference that the step 2 would be
installing a standard Linux kernel, of course), this is exactly the same
steps you'd take if you wanted to migrate from one non-Xen installation
to another non-Xen installation.

If that's not really what you asked for, then please clarify what you
actually want to do. You can probably do it one way or another.

--
Mats