[Xen-users] Re: Using large disk in domU

Robin Bowes wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm running Xen 3.0.3 on FC6 with FC6 DomU guests.
>
> On the Dom0 machine, I have 8 x 500GB disks running as a RAID6 array
> with lvm on top of that. There is one partition available:
> /dev/vg_media/lv_media which has an ext3 FS on it.
>
> I want to make this available to a DomU guest, so I put this in the xen
> config file:
>
> disk = [ 'phy:/dev/vg_host/lv_slim,xvda,w',
>          'phy:/dev/vg_media/lv_media,sda1,w', ]
>

> The disk appears in the DomU guest, but if I fsck it, this is what I see:
>
> # fsck /dev/sda1
> fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> e2fsck 1.39 (29-May-2006)
> The filesystem size (according to the superblock) is 732575744 blocks
> The physical size of the device is 195704832 blocks
> Either the superblock or the partition table is likely to be corrupt!
> Abort<y>? yes
>
> Any idea what's going on here? Am I doing something wrong?

I tried a different approach to this.

I made /dev/md2 visible in the guest as xvdb1:

disk = [ 'phy:vg_host/lv_slim,xvda,w',
         'phy:md2,xvdb1,w', ]

Now, the VG is being detected when the guest boots up:

Scanning logical volumes
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Found volume group "vg_media" using metadata type lvm2
   Found volume group "vg_slim" using metadata type lvm2

And, from a root shell, both the VG and the LV are visible:

# vgs
  VG       #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree
  vg_media   1   1   0 wz--n- 2.73T     0
  vg_slim    1   6   0 wz--n- 9.88G 32.00M

# lvdisplay vg_media/lv_media
  --- Logical volume ---
  LV Name                /dev/vg_media/lv_media
  VG Name                vg_media
  LV UUID                KK4J0k-OgoI-441I-lYa2-OF1k-C4FW-g4qi7o
  LV Write Access        read/write
  LV Status              available
  # open                 0
  LV Size                2.73 TB
  Current LE             715406
  Segments               1
  Allocation             inherit
  Read ahead sectors     0
  Block device           253:6

/dev/mapper/vg_media-lv_media is present but there's no device file in
/dev, i.e. /dev/vg_media/lv_media does not exists.

I did notice an error if I try to activate all VGs:

# vgchange -ay
  device-mapper: reload ioctl failed: Invalid argument
  1 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg_media" now active
  6 logical volume(s) in volume group "vg_slim" now active

So, any idea what's going on here?

How can I make this filesystem available to my guest?

Thanks,

R.