Re: [Xen-users] sles 10 lvm install clone/copy

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Tijl Van den Broeck" <subspawn@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Nov 2006 08:08:43 +0100
  • Cc: Alex Bagehot <abagehot@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 20 Nov 2006 23:09:06 -0800

You probably have an vgdomu-pool with lvmachine1, lvmachine2,... as
lvm backends for your DomU's right? These lv's all have a partition
table for their domU, you can check that with "sfdisk -l
/dev/mapper/lvmachine1"

Only if they are equally sized you can use "dd
if=/dev/mapper/lvmachine1 of=/dev/mapper/lvmachine2 bs=1M". If they
are not equally sized (which is mostly the case), those lv's need to
be -so called- loop mounted in your dom0 if you want to copy their
contents and manually adjust. There's a tool called "losetup" for
that, it allows you to loop-mount a partition within another
partition/lv/file. I can't give the direct syntax for it, since it has
been a while since I used it. Someone else on the list can help
perhaps?

I also believe SLES10 has a special "cloop" package for such situations?

greets

Tijl Van den Broeck