Re: [Xen-users] HVM Loader in 3.0.3-testing missing?

On Fri, 2006-11-24 at 18:46 +0100, Henning Sprang wrote:
> On 11/23/06, Tim Post <tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > Hello list,
> >
> > I've installed Xen 3.0.3-testing
>
> Hmm, 3.0.3 ist released - you don't need to use the testing version anymore.
>
> (unless I miss that the developers decide to run further development
> in this mercurial branch which would be a strange decision)

I had 3.0.3-testing written in a script that installs dependencies
downloads and builds Xen from a local mirror we use so we're not burning
up needless bandwidth. I forgot to change it :)

> On pre-3.0.3  versions, the build of Xen ran through, even if some
> dependencies for
> hvm stuff where missing. Yo had a wroking Xen without HVM support
> then. (e.g. without the hvmloader in place)

It did all the way up to 3.0.3-testing (cpp / bcc were missing), the
makefile didn't stop if (at least those) externals failed to build.

> Use 3.0.3 release, it will not build atr all without the hvm
> dependencies, and tell you why somewhere in the build log.

Yes, since it was released it looks like they did change so it broke
instead of letting you find out later. I never noticed it in testing
because I had yet to try HVM guests (no good hardware till now) because
it didn't break the build.

I'm really impressed with 3.0.3 , and glad I can finally partake in all
of the fun. The new X2 with 4GB was racked for me as a "Sandbox" so I'm
much like a kid at Christmas getting to use stuff I could only look at
before.

> Henning

Best,
-Tim