[Xen-users] Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotpug scripts not working.

I'm sure that this question has been asked here for before, but I didn't
find a solution, may be someone could point me to it.

I had a working install of Xen sometime ago but I had to reinstall it
due to a hardware failure, I'm running exactly the same configuration as
before: Xen 3.0.3 on Debian Etch.

But now I'm getting this error:

Error: Device 0 (vif) could not be connected. Hotpug scripts not
working.

I looked in xen log /var/log/xen/xen-hotplug.log and it says:

Nothing to flush.
bridge xenbr0 does not exist!
Nothing to flush.
bridge xenbr0 does not exist!

Then I googled a bit and found an article on this:

http://publib.boulder.ibm.com/infocenter/eserver/v1r2/index.jsp?topic=/eica7/eica7_trouble_unable_power_on_virtual_server_from_dir_console.htm

It says:
"You need to troubleshoot your network configuration by completing the
following steps:
     1. Determine whether the default bridge xenbr0 exists by running
        one of the following commands:
                brctl show
                Verify in the output that xenbr0 is listed as a bridge.
                ifconfig -a
                Verify that xenbr0 is listed as a network interface.
     2. If the default bridge xenbr0 does not exist, you need to create
        a Xen bridge by running the following command:
        /etc/xen/scripts/network-bridge start"

brctl displayed no available devices, so I started network-bridge
script and what I've got was:

Link veth0 is missing.
This may be because you have reached the limit of the number of interfaces
that the loopback driver supports.  If the loopback driver is a module, you
may raise this limit by passing it as a parameter (nloopbacks=<N>); if the
driver is compiled statically into the kernel, then you may set the parameter
using loopback.nloopbacks=<N> on the domain 0 kernel command line.

However the problem is not with the loopback devices, because losetup -f gives
me: /dev/loop0

Is veth0 stands for virtual eth0 and how to fix it? is it possible to
create bridged virtual connection bypassing this script?

I also tried passing different combinations of vif options, when I'm
passing vif=[options] i get the error mentioned, when I try to pass
vif0=[options] then a guest os is able to boot, windows sees one
unrecognized device, linux doesn't see any eth devices at all. I tried
changing different settings passed to vif but they don't seem to make
any difference. I found xen-hotplug.log entry when I passed
vif=['bridge=xenbr0']

I have bridge-utils installed so I doubt that the error caused by a missing
package.

Any help appreciated.

Alex.