Re: [Xen-users] Can Ctrl - ] to exit console be changed?

On Thu, Nov 30, 2006 at 02:27:31PM +0800, Tim Post wrote:
> Today I was doing some troubleshooting of a service on a dom-u and
> noticed that I couldn't exit a telnet session because ctrl - ] just
> dropped me out of console. When I went back into console, I was still in
> the telnet session. Was using telent to see why monitors were reporting
> an invalid greeting on some services.
>
> Eventually the telnet session would time out, or I could just manually
> enter the command to disconnect, not really a huge issue. I have SSH
> disabled on these hosts and only access them via the console because
> they are quite small and ssh brute force attacks really interfere with
> use.
>
> I'm sure its possible to change the escape key sequence to exit the
> console from ctrl - ] to something else, I'm just not sure where to do
> it. The system is in production so I hope not to do too much trial and
> error with regards to editing stuff in Xen :) If these go down for more
> than a minute or two I'll have a not so happy boss on my hands.

It is easy to change the escape key telnet uses, see the -e option.
Eg set the escape character to Control-A (to annoy all screen and
emacs users)

  telnet -e ^a 1.2.3.4

This option was included in the bad old days when telnet-ing from one
place and then on to another was common.

--
Nick Craig-Wood <nick@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> -- http://www.craig-wood.com/nick