[Xen-users] Re: Xen boot error

On Thu, 30 Nov 2006, Surisetty, Pradeep Kumar wrote:

> Hello

> iam trying to build Xen.

> I downloaded xen unstable tar ball and compiled it. I used mk_initrd

>and created the initird. I booted my newly built Xen but booting stops

>with the following messages and keyboard doesn't work. Can you give me

>pointers to solving this?

>do you mean mkinitrd?  please post the mkinitrd line  also post your

>grub lines

 this is my mkinitrd line.

 mk_initrd -k /boot/vmlinuz-2.6-xen -i /boot/initrd-2.6-xen

> waiting for device /dev/sda7 to appear............not found exiting to

> /bin/sh $

> What kind of disk are you using?  SCSI?  are you attempting to boot

> from

> /dev/sda7?

  I am using SCSI.

>Most likely the problem is that you did not include the drivers for

>your

>disks in the kernel or initrd.  mkinitrd --with=modulename  where

>modulename is the module for your disk, I believe, is one way to solve

>the

>problem.  Another is to re-compile your kernel with CONFIG_MODULE=Y (*

>in

>menuconfig)

This CONFIG_MODULE is already set to Y.

>(oftentimes I find it is easier to troubleshoot these sorts of errors

>w/a serial console... if you could paste the boot messages, finding your

>problem would be trivial-  with the information you are giving me, I'm

>largely guessing.)

>also, you should mention what distro/version you are using.

>RHEL/CentOS

I am using SLES10 GMC.

doesn't like to boot at all without an initrd, whereas on debian or

slackware, I usually just compile everything I need to boot into the

kernel and run without initrd.

Regards

Pradeep Kumar