Re: [Xen-users] pci assignment?

On Tuesday 05 December 2006 08:10, TAG wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am new to Xen and have a Xen box running gentoo as the Dom0.  Xen
> version 3.0.2 from portage on a linux-2.6.16.28-xen kernel.
>
> I have a Intel D processor with the Virtualisation feature and a
> windows XP domU installed.  All runs well and I am most impressed
> with Xen.
>
> I have read that you can assign a PCI device to a particular domU.
> How is this done?

For example using pciback.hide=(...) boot option and
pci      = [ '...' ]
in guest_domU.cfg

> Can the same be done with a USB device ?

Yes, you could hide the usb controller listed in lspci.

However, AFAIK this work[1] only for para virtualized and not
for fully virtualized domains.[2]

> A simple pointer to a doc would suffice, but all help/comments are
> welcome.

http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/Assign_hardware_to_DomU_with_PCIBack_as_module
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION03230000000000000000

Regards,
Daniele

[1] Should work. See my yesterday post:
[Xen-users] problems with external mass storage using pciback.hide
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-12/msg00096.html

[2] See:
RE: [Xen-users] Need clarifications: Xen and winXP HVM: pci direct acces
http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-11/msg00842.html