RE: [Xen-users] HVM memory upper limit

  • To: "Marcos Paulo Serafim" <mpserafim@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 10:43:30 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 01:44:52 -0800

Is this 32-bit PAE or 64-bit guest? I believe a 64-bit guest would work, but
32-bit guest would not, as the entire guest-memory is also mapped into QEMU,
which fails to find a contiguous memory block of 3GB (as the overall limit of
user-space memory is 3GB, and that space has already been fragmented by loading
the qemu-dm executable as well as any other memory allocation happening before
the mapping of the guest memory. 2GB may well work, but 3GB is definitely more
than a 32-bit guest can handle). There was a patch to dynamically map memory,
which was sent in the last couple of days - that will solve this problem, and
you could, should you wish, give a 32-bit PAE guest 8GB of memory - at least if
the patch "does what it says on the label". I haven't seen it go into the tree
itself, so I guess it's not going to make 3.0.4, as it's been feature frozen.

--
Mats