RE: [Xen-users] HVM memory upper limit

  • To: "Marcos Paulo Serafim" <mpserafim@xxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 11:48:56 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 07 Dec 2006 02:55:47 -0800

[snip other info on the domain]

> The Xen qemu-dm log points a error:
>
> domid: 19
> qemu: the number of cpus is 1
> malloc returned error 12

Error 12 = ENOMEM - out of memory, which is what I'd expect "map memory" to say
if you haven't got a contiguous space big enough to map the memory...

Error handling with QEMU could be slightly better - particularly, I think xend
should monitor the qemu-dm process and detect if it's exiting - perhaps kill
the domain at that point?

Does the processor in your system support 64-bit? If so, you could try a 64-bit
Xen + Dom0 - that would give qemu all the memory in the world (well, not quite,
but about 1024TB less some hundreds of gigabyte for the Xen + Linux kernel,
should be enough for most things in the near future... ;-)

> Well, I'll look for this patch. :D

There was a note from Keir Fraser on xen-devel list:
-- Start Keir's mail --
[Original post by Cui, Dexuan]
<my snipping some other stuff>
> Btw, it seems the patch has not been checked in. Could you give some commetns?

I'm reworking it a bit. It'll go in this morning.

 -- Keir
-- End Keirs mail --

So keep an eye on the unstable tree for the next several hours... Just goes to
show that I was wrong about it making 3.0.4 (I think).

--
Mats