Re: Fedora - specialities - was: Re: [Xen-users] Booting Jailtime Centos Image

On 7 Dec 2006 at 12:45, Henning Sprang wrote:

> Jensen Nathan A Capt USAFA/DFCS wrote:
> > [...]
> > 3.  I can use the python scripts to install a new instance of FC6
> >     a.  I currently use a file as the back end for this VM.
> >     b.  However, this file appears to be different from the Jailtime
> > images -- I cannot mount them w/ "mount -o loop"
>
> I also observed that.
>
> Also a Fedora-speciality: They generally use a file as a full block
> device. In this block device, they don't directly put a filesystem, but
> they add a partition table in there, and in this again create partitions.
>
> You can actually see that there is a partition table by looking at it
> with cfdisk <diskfilename>.
> But I also didn't yet succeed to mount this as a loopback device,
> because there simply is no device file on the system for these "inner"
> partitions. And I didn't find how to create one.

You should have browsed this list's archive! Try "man kpartx". Does exits for
SLES10 and it creates device mapper files for those partitions.

--snip---
NAME
       kpartx - Create device maps from partition tables

SYNOPSIS
       kpartx [-a | -d | -l] [-v] wholedisk

DESCRIPTION
       This  tool,  derived  from util-linux' partx, reads partition tables on
       specified device  and  create  device  maps  over  partitions  segments
       detected. It is called from hotplug upon device maps creation and dele-
       tion.
--snip----

> Here also, I didn't come further because a lack of time, but guess
> fedora-xen List should know what to do.

Regards,
Ulrich