Re: [Xen-users] HVM success reports required for wiki

Klaus Kudielka ha scritto:
After digging through the mailing list archives, I finally succeeded
getting also Windows XP to work under xen 3.0.3 on an ASUS M2NPV-VM.

MB:  ASUS M2NPV-VM, BIOS 0504 (GeForce 6150 + nForce 430)
CPU: AMD Athlon 64 3500+
RAM: 2 x 512MB

Distro:    FC6
Kernel:    kernel-xen-2.6.18-1.2849.fc6
Xen:       xen-3.0.3-0.1.rc3
Guest OS:  Windows XP Home SP2 EN

Installation notes:
===================

1. I had to use qemu (yum install qemu) for the first-stage CD install,
   otherwise the cursor keys required in the next step didn't work.
2. When Windows asked to press F6 for additional drivers,
   I had to press F5 and to select "Standard PC".
   Otherwise I consistently got the following errors:
     a) acpi=apic=0: VM hangs during "Starting Windows"
     b) acpi=apic=1: VM hangs with blank screen at first boot from HD
3. Qemu needed a long time to copy the first set of files. When qemu
   finally re-booted its VM, I terminated it with Ctrl-C and began booting
   the Xen HVM from the virtual harddisk.

This way I got past both the "Starting Windows" and the "blank screen"
hangs, and the remaining installation (on Xen HVM) continued smoothly.
The stame story obviously happened to other people as well:

http://lists.xensource.com/archives/html/xen-users/2006-06/msg00452.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-November/msg00026.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-November/msg00056.html
https://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-xen/2006-November/msg00158.html

I also want to add that I consistently faced both hangs, regardless
whether I used the FC6 xen packages, xen-3.0.3 binary tarball, or
xen-3.0.3 compiled from source.

Conclusions:
============

* ASUS M2NPV-VM works perfectly with HVM
* Windows XP (at least SP2) hardware auto-detection gets seriously confused by Xen HVM
* Cursor keys don't work on Xen HVM after pressing F5
* Many people have suffered from the same problem, so this should
  go into the FAQ

Best regards, Klaus

I confirm successfull installation for both 32 and 64 bit version of Ubuntu Edgy, using Xen from Ubuntu Edgy repository, on my ASUS M2NPV-VM, and XP SP2 image CD.

I have another ASUS MB, a P5LD2-VM DH, based on Intel chipset and with a Core 2 Duo CPU.

Using same OS (Ubuntu Edgy) and same XP SP2 image CD, on this MB I can get XP up and running without any problem. Installation go smoothly from start to completition.

So, XP hardaware auto-detection get seriously confused by Xen HVM only for some MB (and ASUS M2NPV-VM is one of this) and with AMD CPU.

Regards

Franco