[Xen-users] XFS, xfs_freeze, LVM and memory

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Wolfgang Hennerbichler <wogri@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:48:08 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 00:48:31 -0800

Hi XEN users,

First of all: this is not really a xen-question, more an LVM+XEN question. I'm redesigning my vserver host (moving to xen), and right now I'm thinking about using XFS as the filesystem in the guests. I'm going to use lvm-snapshotting for backup, so I have to think about memory in Dom0. My backup strategy is as follows: xfs_freeze a domU, snapshot it, xfs_unfreeze it, back it up, remove the snapshot. My lvm- partitions vary in size, the biggest is about 20 gigabytes.

I have a couple of questions for those who use this combination:

* can I call xfs_freeze from dom0, or does it have to be domU that calls that command? (I guess so, as the domU kernel needs to freeze the FS, but probably I'm wrong) - this would imply that my domU needs to have the exact same timing with Dom0 (freeze inside domU, snapshot in dom0, unfreeeze in domU)...
* how much memory (I'm pretty low on memory) should I allocate for dom0?

Thanks for any thoughts,

wogri

--
wogri@xxxxxxxxx