RE: [Xen-users] communication between guest OSes n host OS over FC6 with xen

  • To: "anant" <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 11:55:46 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 02:56:08 -0800

The GUEST should, by all means, never be able to "know" that it's
virtualized. This is part of virtualizations "rules". There's been tons
of material written by various people describing how virtualization
should work, and all of those specify that the guest should never be
able to find out that it's virtualized.

So the guest should never be able to see the hosts' hard disk or any
other features of the host.

Of course, if you have a guest that is connected via (virtual) network
to the host system and there's no network blocking (such as
firewalling), you can use networked tools to find the information you
need - just like if you have two machines sitting next to each other.
[That is EXACTLY what the system should seem like - the virtual machine
should behave exactly like a separate machine that is connected to the
same network as the host].

> Basically how does WMI works on both ?

WMI == Windows Management Instrumentation or something else? [That was
the first thing Google came up with].

I don't think WMI in the definition as per above exists in Linux, and
Xen certainly doesn't have it...

Your Windows guest will of course be able to use whatever features are
implemented for the drivers that are installed to cope with the emulated
hardware in the guest. If those drivers have WMI, then that's going to
work just like if you had a motherboard based on the PIIX chipset, a WDC
disk, a RTL8139, Intel whatever it is or Ne2K network device, etc, etc.
There should be no visible difference (aside from the time it takes to
perform some operations - which may vary in either direction) between
the REAL and Virtual system.

--
Mats