RE: [Xen-users] RE: Research -> do participate.....

  • To: "anant" <ANigam@xxxxxxxxxxx>, xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: "Petersson, Mats" <Mats.Petersson@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 16:56:36 +0100
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 21 Dec 2006 07:57:16 -0800

Yes, it's possible and works today. At least if we assume that you mean
running Windows as a guest-OS on top of Xen - if you mean using Windows
as a "Dom0", whilst that's technically possible to achieve, there's
commercial/legal restrictions that prevent this from happening anytime
soon.

> If it is possible then i want to know who  have successfully
> implemented it and how. Have you installed WIndows on top of
> XEN or you just say what you read.

I have recently installed Windows 2K3 on my machine here.

> These are two different things.
> So if you have really implemented it then i would be pleased
> to know how you
> achieved that install .

What part of the "install" do you want to know? The steps I took to
implement the code in svm.c and friends in the first instance, or the
step I took to write the configuration file for the installation, the
step(s) I took to insert a DVD in my DVD-drive or something else?

The current version of svm.c (which I use a slightly older version of)
is available in the XenSource today. [Of course, if you're using an
Intel processor, you'd better ask someone else, as I'm working for AMD
and I have not spent any time implementing ANY of the Intel code - aside
from some minor work in the shared section of the HVM code].

There's been several posts with complete or partial configuration files
- search the archive of this mailing list.

If you can't get a DVD to work correctly, sorry - you're on the wrong
list.

> If not then that documentation is
> probably right
> which says its release is due in coming year by march.
> Thanks for your reply anyway

Which documentation?

XenSource just released V3.0.4 which adds to the 3.0.3 by supporting SMP
in Windows. What more do you want?

Yes, I do understand that this is NOT a shrink-wrapped release from SuSE
or RedHat - that will take a few weeks (or more, depending on where in
the release cycles they are, as they run releases in their own cycles,
not necessarily matching up with Xen).

--
Mats