[Xen-users] Re: what to backup Xen partition with?

  • To: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • From: Jelle S <forums@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Feb 2007 11:01:42 +0000 (UTC)
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 02 Feb 2007 03:10:20 -0800

Rakotomandimby (R12y) Mihamina <mihamina.rakotomandimby <at>
etu.univ-orleans.fr> writes:

> Hi all,
> I choosed to install my domUs on separate partitions.
> All are "full virtualized" domUs.
> I have 4 x 10GB to backup. Of course, the backup is done while the domains
are
> down.
> The domains are 4 different Linux distributions I make tests on.
> I might  brake some, and dont want to go more time thrgouh the install
> process: I just want, if I brake the domU system, to just overwrite the
> partition with the last known good configuration.
> For the moment, the idea I apply is to "dd" the partition to a file and then
> bzip2 it. for a first install, It goes from 10GB to 1GB (more or less,
> depends on the distro).
> But it's still too slow (dd+bzip2). Would you know another way to make
> partition backups?
>
> thank you

It's not goign to be of any great help now, but LVM is very handy.  I run all
my domU's in LVM which enables you to make snaphots of your partitions.

http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/
http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/research/srg/netos/xen/readmes/user/user.html#SECTION03330000000000000000

Cheers,