Re: [Xen-users] ATI fglrx patch, OpenGL is working

Just my personal opinion on this :

i fully agree with your statement that we should not send any of those links to a OSS mailinglist, it would have been better to post the right words to enter into google :-)

But about ATI Support - I just can say it sucks completely.
I have 5 tickets open, some over a year and with every release i get a info to test with the new driver and update the ticked if problem still exists - and guess what - no fixes so far and they release a driver every 1-1.5 month.
beside me others opened ticket specific for Xen Support and there are a bunch of votes on this in the bugzilla system, my personal view is ATI doesn't care about this at all.

Sven

"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>
Sent by: xen-users-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

02/15/07 01:56 AM

Please respond to
"Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange@xxxxxxxxxx>

Christian Fischer <spaetzle@xxxxxxxxxx>
cc
xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject

On Thu, Feb 15, 2007 at 12:31:50AM +0100, Christian Fischer wrote:
> On Mittwoch, 14. Februar 2007, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > On Wed, Feb 14, 2007 at 12:46:49AM +0100, Christian Fischer wrote:
> > > Hi all.
> > >
> > > have fglrx driver working with xen, opengl runs fine for me.
> > >
> > > see http://pastebin.ca/350588
> >
> > Please don't post patches for proprietry licensed source code to open
> > source mailing lists, or even links to such patches. If you want ATI
> > drivers to work under Xen, complain to ATI because they're the only
> > people who can help with their proprietry kernel code without becoming
> > tainted by the licensing conditions.
>
> I don't need help with this driver, the driver works well for me.
>
> But maybe other xen-users are interested in patches for fglrx to get opengl
> working with xen.
>
> what is bad giving xen-users the chance to to have opengl support e.g. on ibm
> laptops?

Submit a ticket with ATI and give them your patch otherwise they'll never
fix the drivers properly themselves. If people don't complain to ATI directly
about lack of Xen support they'll never have any inclination to rectify the
situation, and people will forever passing passing around patches.

> I think it doesn't conflict with the ati licensing conditions.

Whether the ATI license allows you to redistribute the patch or not is
a minor detail. The utimate license for the source is still proprietry
and thus will taint people who look at it.

The experiance with the SCO case illustrates very clearly that the open
source community has to take code cleanliness very seriously indeed
because companies will sue for copyright infringment on the flimsiest
of excuses. Posting code where the license is clearly proprietry to
mailing lists of open source projects is just not acceptable.

Dan.
--
|=- Red Hat, Engineering, Emerging Technologies, Boston.  +1 978 392 2496 -=|
|=-           Perl modules: http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/              -=|