Re: [Xen-users] FW: XenSource Administrator Console

  • To: "Henning Sprang" <henning_sprang@xxxxxx>
  • From: "Nico Kadel-Garcia" <nkadel@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Feb 2007 06:32:07 +0000
  • Cc: Simon Croak <Simon.Croak@xxxxxxxxxx>, Xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Fri, 16 Feb 2007 22:31:31 -0800

On 2/16/07, Henning Sprang <henning_sprang@xxxxxx> wrote:
On 2/16/07, Simon Croak <Simon.Croak@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I was wondering if anyone had any experience or ever tried using the
> XenSource Administrator Console with the open source version (free) of Xen
> (3.0).

It would be not exactly an intelligent business model to sell an
enterprise license for one server and let people manage their 100 OSS
Servers with this...

And, even when you solve tis somehow, if you sell a product with
support, and allow people to use it with their self-compiled stuff,
you lose control, and must either write in the contract that this
situation _can_ work, but is not supported, or you got to hell with
support hours that you give without additional fee, because people
build their stuff wrong, etc.

Or you charge hourly  for support, or you build into your fee structure the time to do the creative implementations the customer wants. I've done the latter, with some success, for Subversion and right now for Nagios and MRTG and Xen.