Re: [Xen-users] dom0 freezes under high IO load

On 4 Mar 2007 at 15:12, bigfoot29 wrote:

> Heya. :)
>
> Just wanted to second dom0 - crashing behavior.
>
> Due to the fact that I have had never the same problems with 2.0.7 (and
> at least the same CPU/network utilization -> HDD-utilization should be
> compareable) I can second that with 3.0.x the behavior of dom0 got bad.
>
> Normal uptime with 2.0.7 was up to 2 months; with 3.0.x its pending from
> 24 hours up to a week.

SLES10-x86_64:
# uptime
  8:39am  up 97 days 17:02,  1 user,  load average: 1.87, 1.83, 1.76

> 2 interesting things to mention:
> 1st: When the whole system had crashed (domains also had to be started
> new) the Xen-System stays up round about a week. When I just reboot the
> server (and thus Dom0 with frozen domU's while reboot), server dies more
> often.
> 2.nd: I tried to create a simple 2 GB file using dd if=/dev/zero of...
> inside(!) a vm, and it froze the system right at the beginning of file
> creation.
>
> All VMs are running using files as virtual harddisks; so basically it
> are no processes that do anything "special".

I'm using LVM LVs for virtual harddisks.

> All running VMs are paravirtualized ones - no HVM guests.

Same here.

> However, its weird that I can't use swap inside a dom0 - you can bet
> your soul on the fact that as soon as you reduce the mem (192MB maybe)
> and you have processes that want to swap out, your Dom0 WILL crash - not
> right away, but soon enough.

I can use swap in Dom0:
# free -m
Mem:           384        380          3          0         59        154
-/+ buffers/cache:        165        218
Swap:        20481          5      20476

> So basically if you want to increase Dom0 livetime, you gotta increase
> memory dedicated to dom0.

Probably there exists a critical minumum amount of RAM where Dom0 can run
stable.

> Never had THESE issues with vanilla kernels (or as mentioned the 2.0.7
> ones)
>
> Funny thing: with a Dom0-machine just staying ready for action and
> running a samba fileserver (well, its a backup server that could run a
> VM if needed where I didn't want to put the sambaserver in a VM) I get
> the same behaviour - all 2 weeks the dom0 just gets unresponsible when
> you want to access hdd.

Why would you run a samba server in Dom0, and did you install the recent
security
updates for samba?

Ulrich