Re: [Xen-users] hardware question

On Tue, 6 Mar 2007, Will Sani wrote:
I'm trying to determine whether the server hardware that we have will work with XEN Enterprise or not. Currently I have a Dell SC1425 (Xeon 2.8 Ghz) and a PowerEdge 1800 (Xeon 3.0 Ghz). I'm wondering if these servers are compatible or not.

Suggestions on where I can find more literature on the compatibility? Or list of compatible devices, chipsets, etc.?

essentially all the post-ppro mainstream CPUs are supported in PV mode; Athlons, P3s, P4s, Xeons, etc... all will work fine. you need to check if you use the ultra-low-power or otherwise weird chips. (I don't believe xen works on, for example, the via C3)

If you are using HVM, you need to do more looking- both your CPU and motherboard need to support it. You can start looking here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Processors
and here:
http://wiki.xensource.com/xenwiki/HVM_Compatible_Motherboards

(I would bet money that your dell 1800 is not HVM compatable; However, it probably works fine in pv mode. I've got a client on a bunch of dell 1850s running pv mode, and they are not having problems. )