Re: [Xen-users] iptables not working on xen 3.0.4 domU

On Wednesday 07 March 2007, Luke S. Crawford wrote:
> On Thu, 8 Mar 2007, Peter Fastrà wrote:
> > There's only one problem, which I can not resolve: iptables v1.3.5: can't
> > initialize iptables table `filter': Bad file descriptor. Perhaps iptables
> > or your kernel needs to be upgraded.
>
> If you are using the same kernel for the dom0 and the domU, just copy
> /lib/modules from the dom0 to the domU and everything should work fine.
> In xen, you keep the DomU kernel on the Dom0, but the DomU modules need to
> be on the DomU.

i think he already did that... his problem seems to be not the modules, but
the tools.  it's all complicated because he's using a 64bit kernel (to match
dom0) with a 32bit userspace (his beloved Slackware).

that makes it hard to match kernel-managing userspace tools with the kernel.

without having tested anything similar, i guess the easiest solutions would
be:
a) add the needed 64-bit libraries so that the same executable could be used
on both Dom0 and DomU
b) build a statically-linked 64bit toolchest, so that it doesn't need any
extra library

.... or switching to a 64-bit distro for DomU's  ... or using 32-bit (PAE?)
for Dom0...

--
Javier