[Xen-users] RE: Xen 3.0.4 on RH EL 4.4 - can't make it boot kerne l

Foreman, Tim wrote:

>> You also get an error loading the IDE driver, which may be
>> the cause of all other problems. You may want to try rebuilding the
>> kernel with a
>> builtin IDE driver
>
> I was hoping to avoid rebuilding the kernel, but the stuff I found
> using Google seemed to indicate that the ide module might have been
> the issue.
> --Tim

I had this same error.  Sadly I am too late to help you avoid some
work/compile time. But for the benefit of others...  *Don't rebuild the
kernel*, just rebuild the initrd image.

My IDE controller doesn't appear in the default initrd image included in the
RPMs from Xen (for RHEL 4 anyway), but there is a module in the RPM for it.
I had to rebuild the initrd image with my IDE controller driver in.  This is
the same as the old Linux problem of SCSI controllers - I need the disk to
load the driver, but need the driver to access the disk.

0 Boot to a working Linux
1 Run "lspci | grep IDE" to find out which IDE controller you are using
1a My output looks like this:
00:0f.0 IDE interface: VIA Technologies, Inc.
VT82C586A/B/VT82C686/A/B/VT823x/A/C PIPC Bus Master IDE (rev 06)
2 Look in the kernel/drivers/ide/pci directory to find out what your
driver's filename is.
2a There is one file with "via" in the name called via82cxxx.ko, so I
probably want that one.
3 Run: "mkinitrd --with=ide-driver-filename-without-.ko initrd-image-name
kernel-version"
3a For me, because I have a Via controller, I ran this:
     mkinitrd --with=via82cxxx initrd-2.6-xenbrad.img 2.6.16.33-xen_3.0.4.1
4 Now use the newly create initrd image when you boot to your Dom0 kernel -
do this by say editing grub.conf
4a Worked like a charm for me.