Re: [Xen-users] Does XEN support crash carts?

  • To: Jayson Vantuyl <jvantuyl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Foreman, Tim" <tforeman@xxxxxxxxx>
  • From: Steffen Hulegaard <shulegaa@xxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 7 Mar 2007 21:07:28 -0800 (PST)
  • Cc: xen-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Delivery-date: Thu, 08 Mar 2007 02:33:49 -0800

    Clearly, I'm a newbie.  Thanks for the tip
on crash cart support (via 'xm console').
It really helped - but I'm left with a nagging
(newbie) KVM question.  I'd also love to confirm
my newfound serial-port understanding.

     I now see how to configure support for
the physical serial port (i.e. see section 2.5.2 at
http://tx.downloads.xensource.com/downloads/docs/user/).

     It seems easy enough to 'switch' between
domains/guests using the escape character
mentioned.  Once the serial connection is set/switched
to be talking to domain0, I can see using a
'xm consoles' - or 'xm lists' - command to
discover/choose active domain IDs.  So everything
looks
fine via the crash cart's null modem cable (to/from
the physical serial port).  Right?
Much goodness ;-)  Is there anything missing?
Maybe a listing of archived/saved VM images?

     I just cannot seem to get my head around what
is happening on the physical VGA/USB ports.
What happens to these when one issues an 'xm console'
command (in/to Domain0)?

     I wonder.  As the serial--dev/console/--dev/ttyS0
of each domain gets 'switched', is the
monitor--virtual-framebuffer association *also*
getting switched onto/off-of the physical VGA port?
Are the virtual keyboards/mice of each domain
*switched* - right along with the serial-port/console
and the virtual framebuffer?  If so ... well then ...
more goodness ;-)

     I really appreciate the clarification.  I
apologize for being such a newbie :-(  I've heard
some claims about there being some sort of
XEN limitation/deficiency here (and I've got
some limitations on what I can presently just try
myself).  At any rate, the premise that XEN v3.x
lacks any 'crash cart' support sounds like a myth.
Maybe this is just an out-of-date notion.

Thanks for all the help.