Re: [Xen-users] moving a real system to a Xen-hosted (HVM) one - how?

> I'd suggest a Imaging software like Symantec Ghost or similar to clone
> the real ones and apply the image to Xen Guests / LVM disks.

You could also try playing with partimage here - similar to Ghost, curses
interface, Free software.  I've not used this for Xenning systems but have
previously used it for backing up configurations of physical machines over
the network using a live CD - worked very well for us.

> I know VMWare ESX has a tool for live-migration (in sense of migration
> physical machines to virtual ones) where it basically copies all files
> from a physical machine to a virtual one during the machine is running.

There are some commercial companies offering this kind of service as well,
although whether they can run "live" may very.  They may be biased towards
the commercial XenSource (or other company's Xen-based) products rather than
the open source flavour.

XenSource do one, Leostream may (I don't know), Platespin does (I think, or
they will soon), Virtual Iron probably do one for their product (another
commercial Xen-based product), etc.  Lots of choices, but I'm not sure how
well any of them support Open Source Xen.

HTH,
Cheers,
Mark

Dave: Skateboards have wheels.