[Xen-users] Re: Virtualization + CPU w/crypto acceleration instructions

Molle Bestefich wrote:
In a virtualized environment running Xen or VMware, can the guest
operating systems utilize hardware crypto acceleration such as the
"PadLock" AES acceleration built into VIA CPUs?

VMware doesn't support VIA CPUs, and I think we would have compatibility issues with these instructions. In general, most hypervisors would need to support decoding of the new instructions for complete emulation in various fault and corner cases. In general, I would expect some trouble just running a hypervisor or VIA CPUs, as the test matrix is so low I can't point even to one working example. Perhaps someone can correct me if they have got one up and running.

UML should work fine though.

Zach