RE: [Xen-users] Exploiting XEN

Agree completely. [Although I guess some people on the Xen User's list
may not be developers, I believe anyone here would rather forward such a
"rootkit" to the developers so that they can fix the underlaying flaw,
rather than passing it around to try out amongst "friends"].

> > The Xen hypervisor is fairly small, and thus relatively easy to
> > understand and control against vulnerabilities. Since it's living
> > "outside" the host-OS that it controls, it's potentially
> less vulnerable
> > than those hypervisors that live within the host-OS.
>
> Nice in theory, but in practice you have to include Dom0 as (at this
> time) it has effectively unrestricted access to the hardware and is
> neccessarily trusted by every DomU that cards about disk or network
> I/O. While in theory Xen may allow a tighter security model, in the
> real-world deployments of Xen there's no better security from its
> arch of hypervisor outside the Dom0 OS, vs other virt systems which
> have the hypervisor as part of  the Dom0.

I guess that's a fair comment too. Dom0 is a large part of a Xen
environment, and if Dom0 is compromised, then Xen can't really do that
much to prevent the system from being crashed, subverted or other
malicious acts. But I believe Xen itself is "safe" from Dom0 being
compromised - but it's moot point, as Xen on it's own is about as useful
as a chocalte teapot.

But Xen isn't really the "culprit" in this scenario - it's the same
scenario for Linux (or whatever other OS we care to choose) without a
hypervisor.

--
Mats