RE: [Xen-users] cpu life cycle comparison, virtualized to standard?

I completely agree.

I have seen the "real" Mean Time To Failure analyzis done by AMD. You'd
be surprised how long a CPU will last if it's at 55'C. Problem is that
there are other components that don't last as long. Of course, using the
CPU at higher than 55'C reduces the lifetime (quite noticably if it's
much above this temperature), but I wouldn't worry about it still. It
will be VERY unfashionably ancient by the time it dies of old age.

Memory, I expect, is similar.

Of course, if the processor is OUTSIDE it's valid operating temperature,
all bets are off. But unless the cooling in your system is insufficient,
that shouldn't happen.

As a side-note, all of my systems are running BOINC-projects, which more
or less means that the system is running 100% CPU all the time. I have
not had a CPU-failure that wasn't directly related to:
1. Lightning strike
2. Heatsink failure/misuse (don't expect the processor[1] to _not_ break
if heatsink isn't attached).

[1] Modern AMD processors have builtin overheating protection, but older
ones didn't, as I found out the "empirical way".

--
Mats