[Xen-users] warning about aliases and multihoming

Hi,

If you have a multihomed or virtual interface created by

   ip addr add IPADDR dev eth0

or an old alias with

   ifcfg-eth0:0

you may find, on Centos 4.4, that this secondary IP address is
destroyed/broken when you start up your guest/domU using the default
bridge facility.

One solution I've come up with is to re-issue the "ip addr
add" command or "ifup eth0:0" after bringing up the domU.

However, a better solution has been to create my own bridge on boot,
and tell the guests to use that bridge in their "vif" statements.

Of course, getting a bridge to have a second IP address was tricky
too...the /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts don't seem to know how to do
this right, so I ended up adding the second IP address using "ip addr
add ..." in an /sbin/ifup-local script.

--
Best regards,
 Russell                          mailto:russellr@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx