[Xen-users] RE: [Fedora-xen] some initial trouble

Michael Weiner wrote:
> On 3/19/07, Steve Brueckner <steve@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>
>       Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>       > On Mon, Mar 19, 2007 at 11:16:48AM -0400, Michael Weiner wrote:
>       >> Xen readers -
>       >>
>       >> Been trying to get xen working on FC6 for some time now, and i am
>       not >> sure what i am doing wrong - last time i played with xen it
>       was v2 >> and didnt seem to be this difficult to get working.
>       >
>       > You've not provided any initrd.
>
>       Yes, initrd's can be a pain with Fedora.
>
>       >> pretty generic, and when i go to fire it up with 'xen create
>       >> debian-3.1.cfg-c' it starts up and runs for a few moments then
>       dies, >> leaving the following in the log file:
>       >
>       > The system logs generally don't contain any useful information
>       > relating to Xen. You should instead look at the Xen logs -
>       > /var/log/xen/*
>
>       You can also get more information to debug problems by launching
with
>       a console (#xm create -c <domname>).  This will show you the VM
>       booting, and you'll be able to see errors such as module failures
>       due to a lack of an initrd.
>

> Thanks Steve, any possible pointers or URLs?
>
> Thanks
> Michael

Well here is how I built my initrd's for an older kernel
(for what its worth):

#mkinitrd -v -f -with=aacraid --with=sd_mod --with=scsi_mod \
initrd-2.6.16.13-xen.img 2.6.16.13-xen

#cp initrd-2.6.16.13-xen.img /boot

Note that this isn't a Xen thing so much as a general Linux thing.
Googling for initrd should help you out.

Steve Brueckner, ATC-NY