Re: [Xen-users] Xen kernel prevents ALSA working of 20)

Tim Post - tim.post@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Really dumb question, but does lsmod give an indication that the modules
> for the sound card have been loaded? Are they in /etc/modules?
>
> There's several degrees of broken :
>
> 1 - lspci won't see them even with modules loaded, just 'not working'.
>
> 2 - lspci sees them, but they still don't seem to work with modules
>     loaded
>
> 3 - the modules themselves fail to load
>
> 4 - (and likely) the modules just aren't loaded on boot
>
> Which one are you experiencing?

None of the above.  All the correct kernel modules for both my
soundcards are being loaded, without complaints, at least in the syslog.
 The problem is that having loaded all the correct modules, ALSA refuses
to admit that there's any hardware there.

That is, when ALSA comes up during boot, it tells me "no devices found"
or something similar (sorry I don't have the exact message, I'm away
from that computer right now.)  But when I lsmod, all the correct
devices are loaded, and I don't know who's loading those if it isn't
ALSA (I can't remember precisely what's in my /etc/modules, but it
definitely doesn't include the AC97, at least.)

I've already run into problems with Xen attempting to grab the network
hardware when it starts, despite the fact that the network hardware is
already up and running.  This results in a big mess and no network
connection for anything.  I fixed that by disabling eth0 from
automatically coming up at boot.  This situation seems very similar, so
a plausible explanation is that Xen is also trying to grab the audio
hardware, despite the fact that ALSA's already using it, resulting in a
similar big mess and lack of hardware for all concerned.  But this seems
unlikely when you realise that Xen doesn't provide audio hardware
virtualisation.

I realise now that rather than simply running "/etc/init.d/xend stop",
to fix the mess I really need to disable xend completely and boot again,
and see what happens then.  Unfortunately I'm away from the computer
right now and can't do that, but I'll give it a go tonight to see if
audio works again.  But of course that's not actually a solution, it's
just a bit of diagnosis.